Victorian businesses audited by Fair Work Ombudsman

More than 200 Victorian businesses are being checked out by the Fair Work Ombudsman to make sure they are complying to federal workplace laws. 

The employers have all previously been found to be in breach of the laws in the last 12 months, so a second audit of their employment records is being undertaken.

Acts of previous noncompliance include underpaying employees or pay slip and record-keeping mistakes.

Fair Work Ombudsman Natalie James said that understanding and education of federal workplace laws is important for businesses. 

“It’s important for us to check that employers now understand their responsibilities and are providing employees with their full lawful entitlements,” Ms James explained in an August 22 press release. 

“We also want to understand if any non-compliance issues might be continuing, because that will help us better direct our education and campaign activities in future.”

In the case of continued noncompliance by a business a Fair Work inspector can take action, this includes issuing an infringement notice of up to $2,550. The maximum penalty for businesses is $51,000 for each breach and $10,200 for individuals. 

Small businesses workplace relations obligations

The Fair Work Ombudsman states that as an employer you are required to pay your employees a minimum rate, allowance or common penalty rate. Some industries and jobs, such as apprenticeships and casual pay rates in the construction industry, have different regulations so it is important to check what your minimum obligations are and ensure they are being met. 

Employees are also entitled to annual leave, sick and carer’s leave, compassionate leave and maternity and parental leave, depending on their situation. 

Your pay slips and records must also be kept up-to-date. Written accounts of time and wage records need to be kept for a minimum period of seven years so a Fair Work inspector can access them if the need arises.

If you would like to learn more about your obligations as an employer or if you think your work conditions are breaching federal work place laws talk to an employment lawyer