Tom is a litigation solicitor, based in our Brisbane CBD office.
After graduating from the Queensland University of Technology with a Bachelor of Laws (with Honours) and Journalism (with Distinction) in 2014, Tom was appointed as an Associate to a Judge of the District Court of Queensland.
Whilst working at court, Tom gained significant exposure to the conduct of civil and criminal trials, section 222 appeals, sentencing, the rules of evidence, and general court advocacy and etiquette.
Following his associateship, Tom commenced his role as a litigation lawyer at McCarthy Durie Lawyers, where he focuses on general commercial and property litigation, insolvency and planning & environment matters.
Examples of his experience include:
- successfully resisting an application seeking to register a foreign (USA) judgment in Queensland and obtaining indemnity costs against the Applicant;
- appearing in mediations as solicitor-advocate and successfully negotiating settlements in respect of property damage and negligence claims against local councils;
- appearing as solicitor-advocate on a number of sentences for accused pleading guilty to drug and traffic-related offences in the Magistrates Court;
- successfully negotiating the withdrawal of an enforcement notice issued by Brisbane City Council against a client for an alleged unlawful use following the filing of a Notice of Appeal and attendance at a mediation; and
- appearing as solicitor-advocate in the Supreme Court on applications for grant-of-probate on irregularly entered wills and successfully obtaining orders for grants-of-probate.
Tom regularly appears in the Queensland Magistrates Court, Planning and Environment Court and District Court. He also occasionally appears in the Supreme Court.
- Bachelor of Laws (Honours) – Queensland University of Technology (QUT) (2014)
- Bachelor of Journalism (Distinction) – Queensland University of Technology (QUT) (2014)
- Queensland Law Society
- Queensland Environmental Law Association
Outside of practising law, Tom enjoys training in traditional Japanese and Brazilian jujitsu, hiking, and spending time with his family and friends. He also speaks fluent Polish and is currently learning to speak Russian and Spanish.